Sunday, March 22, 2009

Deborah Drapper- no ordinary 13 yr old!

Have you seen Deborah 13:Servant of God on BBC Iplayer yet? It's raised some really interesting questions. Deborah Drapper is a 13 yr old girl who whole-heartedly follows Jesus Christ. She lives with her family in Dorset (a very large family!) and has been home-schooled. The programme begins by showing how little Deborah knows about celebrities (she doesn't recognise a picture of Victoria Beckham or Britney Spears), and she doesn't show any interest in fashion and the usual concerns of a 13 yr old girl. But she is astounding in her conviction and confidence.

I have only met a few home-schooled teenagers, and those I have met have come across as very immature for their age. Not so with Deborah. She is mature, perceptive and has passion about what she believes. She believes that everyone has turned away from God in their life, and is therefore under God's judgement and headed for hell, but that God sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross, so that anyone who believes in Him can be saved and go to heaven. The logical response to whole-heartedly believing this is to get out there and share this awesome news with everyone you meet... and that's exactly what the documentary portrays.

I personally felt very humbled when I watched this. I remember having the same fervour and sense of urgency to share the good news about Jesus when I became a Christian at a young age. But somehow as time goes on, I've been desensitised to the fantastic power of the gospel. All too often I stay quiet and withhold the words of truth and life from my dearest friends, colleagues and family.

Thank you Deborah, for reminding me how serious the situation is. It is a matter of eternal life and eternal death. If you're a Christian reading this, be encouraged to get out there and share your faith with others. If you're not a Christian, be encouraged to start thinking about God.

The interviewer at one point asks Deborah, "What will you do if you die and that's all there is?"

Deborah thought carefully then responded, "Well I guess then I'll be dead and that's it. But if you die and I'm right, you'll be in a place far worse than death."

More on heaven and hell to come. Here's a link to Deborah's blog:
http://deborahdrapper.com/

No comments: