Monday, April 13, 2015

Book Review: Confessions of a Boy-Crazy Girl by Paula Hendricks

I came across this book through Revive our Hearts, as Paula writes for the 'Lies Young Women Believe' blog. It's quite American, and it's aimed at teen girls (so I don't really fit this target audience!), but I did really enjoy reading it, and it definitely challenged me on whether I was really aware of all the idols in my life.

Through honest, personal writing, Paula goes through her relationship history with all the ups and downs. She shares her struggle to be pure, her struggle to feel loved and accepted in Christ, and her struggle to wait for God's plan and timing when it comes to romance. I may be married, but I still identified with much of Paula's story. The temptation to idolise a relationship, to try to find all of your security in it, doesn't disappear once you say your vows. It's also a temptation for me to doubt God's plan for my marriage when things don't seem to be going as well as I want them to.

Paula's book reminds us that we can only be the people God wants us to be when we are saturated in His Word, allowing ourselves to be moulded by it instead of the world's ideology.

I loved her emphasis on grace. It's not about conquering passion with a self control of our own effort, but about understanding the gospel and living a life transformed by the Holy Spirit.

Ultimately, the challenge for all of us is to trust that God knows what's best for us, whether that's marriage or singleness. Paula has encouraged me on my journey and I'm sure she will encourage many other young women to pursue Christ, and end the ongoing cycle of "crushes", daydreams, distraction and heartbreak.

No comments: