Friday, September 26, 2008

Psalms 54-55: Calling out in a crisis


Lessons from David- Psalms 54-55

These two psalms really emphasise God as the One to turn to in a crisis. David is surrounded by enemies and anguish and trouble, yet he can say:
'Surely God is my help; the Lord is the One who sustains me... I will praise Your Name, O LOrd, for it is good. For He has delivered me from all my troubles.' (4-7)

In faith based on God's character and God's previous actions, David expects to be saved. And so in Ps 55 the tense moves to a continual present:
'I call to God, and the Lord saves me... He hears my voice' (16-17)

David thus encourages the people to exercise the same dependence and faith in God:
'Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He wil never let the righteous fall.' (22)

Don't turn away from God in a crisis- He's the best One to turn to.

No comments: