Monday, May 6, 2013

Lessons from Psalms #4: God is Enough

'The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing...
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
for ever.' Ps 23:1,5-6

'I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing.’
...Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance...
You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.' Ps 16:2, 5-6, 11

Do we really believe that God is enough for us? That's the challenge of the Psalms for me. Time and time again, the different writers lift their eyes from circumstances that are less than ideal (in fact, mostly times of rejection, political instability and turmoil), and find in God a stability and fortress. They find in Him all they need. Can I say the same? How much am I content with God as God? Or do I just feel content in God when He gives me a nice house to live in, a happy family, a good job?

Psalm 84 is all about longing for the courts of the Lord. The stand-out section for me reads:
'Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.' Ps 84:5-7

Baka, or Baca, is 'the thirsty valley'. It's like a desert place where only a certain type of balsam tree will grow. God's people make it a place of springs - they show faith which dares to dig blessings out of hardship. It's not that the place itself magically transforms when they get there.

I can see the spiritual barrenness around me and pray for streams of living water from on high to refresh the land, but sometimes I feel that challenge from the Psalmist: I need to start digging deeper. When I'm finding deep refreshment in the Lord, that will flow out to others around me.

No comments: