Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lessons from Psalms #5: Creator

'Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
in the heavens...
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?' Ps 8:1, 3-4

'The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.' Ps 19.1

The Psalms are full of praise for God as Creator. There is such a sense of awe when the writers look around them, look up at the stars, and just see God's fingerprints. In Psalm 90, attributed to Moses, you can see the influence of Genesis 1-2 on the way he looks at God and on man's place in creation:

'Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.' Ps 90.2

That's what creation does: it shows us God's infinite greatness and puts us in our place. So often I feel like I'm running the show, and it's all about my plan, my progress and my achievements. But I'm missing the bigger picture.

'Our days may come to seventy years,
or eighty, if our strength endures;
yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow,
for they quickly pass, and we fly away...
Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.' Ps 90.10-12

Our lives are so fleeting in comparison with eternity, yet so often our hearts are rooted to this world instead of the next. This Psalm is a great reminder that though our lives are plagued with the restrictions and realities of death and time, we can find true satisfaction in receiving His mercy and plough our energies into work for Him that has value when done with the right motives: to serve.

'Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days...
establish the work of our hands for us –
yes, establish the work of our hands.' Ps 90.14,17

In the image of our Creator, we too can create. We can enjoy permanence through His everlasting nature. If I'm looking for my meaning and value in my work (whether in my job, or as a parent, or any other capacity), I'm never going to be satisfied. I'm never going to rest. But if I find my meaning in being a child of God, I can give my work 100% and then rest, knowing that He is God, not me.

When writing to the Corinthians, Paul tells them 'Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.' (1 Cor 15:58). He doesn't promise that we always get the results we want, but he tells us that it's worth giving God our best, because He sees and values a humble spirit that longs to please Him. So much of finding earthly contentment lies in seeing ourselves as God sees us, and not judging ourselves by the world's standards. Only then can we find the peace we crave.

No comments: